Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Time and Energy Dilemma

So little time, so much to do. Everyone probably has this problem to some degree. When you have MS, it can be an even bigger dilemma.


Since I have to deal with often feeling fatigued and generally moving slower than I'd like, time is a precious commodity for me. So is energy. I often find myself in a "use it or lose it" situation. I have to take advantage of the energy when I have it, and get things done before it runs out. So if I am suddenly feeling energetic at seven in the evening, that is the time to head off to the store.



Scheduling activities is next to impossible. You never know when fatigue will strike. There are certain times of the day that I tend to feel a little less tired, though, so I make all my appointments for around those times.



In a way, my time and energy dilemma has been a helpful thing. It has helped me to learn how to prioritize. I used to try to do too many things in one day. Now, since my energy is limited, I can only do so much in a day, and everything takes longer when you're slower. It's also helped me to feel less stressed. I used to be late for everything because I wasn't giving myself enough time to get where I needed to be. Now, I'm kind of forced to give myself extra time because of my slow walking. It feels good not to have to be rushing around anymore.



Sometimes I think it would be nice to have more hours in the day, and I'd like to move as fast as I used to, but I do welcome the challenge of getting things done in spite of the limitations with which I have to contend.

No comments: