Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Beautiful Day


It is a beautiful winter day today. I am not a fan of the cold, but the sky is so blue, and the sun has been shining so brightly all day. Despite the chill in the air, when I went outside to fill the bird feeder and scatter some nuts for the squirrels, I couldn't resist staying outside for a while to take some photos. It is the kind of day that makes the winter blues go away - at least for a while. Today reminds me of what a miracle nature is and how much I love it.


There are lots of things I love about nature, in every season. How do I love thee, nature? Let me count (some of) the ways:

I love your towering trees, their limbs outstretched toward the sky.

I love the way your clean white snow glistens in the sunlight (and moonlight).

I love how the squirrels come right up to me and sit up and beg for the walnuts they know I will give them. (They know I cannot resist their cuteness.)

I love your explosion of color in autumn, and the crunch of your fallen leaves under my feet.

I love the lush green the grass becomes in spring.

I love your scents - the smell before the rain, the fragrance of your flowers.

I love the music you play - birds chirping, the rushing and bubbling of the water in a creek, the sound of waves lapping a sandy beach.


It's amazing how nature has the power to cheer you up with all of its beautiful sights and sounds. A day like today lifts my spirits, and is a welcome respite from the dreariness that can be so prevalent this time of year. It is a good day.




No comments: