Friday, March 5, 2010

Embracing Changes





Some of the changes in my life this past decade have not been good ones - like being diagnosed with MS, losing my mother and having to stop working. I am not a big fan of change.


I tend to be set in my ways - sticking to a routine with little variation. Sometimes the predictable makes us feel safe. But it can get boring, and we can find ourselves feeling like we're stuck in a rut and craving a change.


There are times when changes can be frustrating. It's hard to accept changes we didn't decide on and don't want. Your department at work runs like a well-oiled machine, and then there is an upheaval when the people in charge decide to make changes. Or maybe you lose your job altogether.



Sometimes the change can turn out to be a good thing. Maybe being resistant to it is a natural response, but things can still work out. Maybe things at the office could run smoother after all, or a lost job could lead to your getting a better one.



There are always those changes that we welcome. Winter gives way to Spring. Your favorite sports team makes a good trade. I personally can't wait to break open my new box of hair color and get rid of these gray hairs!



Seriously though, I am learning to embrace change. Part of having a positive attitude is seeing the possibility that changes can be good. I am looking forward to doing something new with my life (now that I think I finally know what it is I'd like to do).



Sometimes they are for the worse, sometimes for the better. Sometimes we don't see them coming, and other times we can't wait for them. We wish things would change, or we dread them changing - either way, change is always bound to happen.







No comments: