Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Beauty of Simple Little Things

They are often taken for granted. They frequently get tossed aside in the midst of our hectic, stressful lives, our purchases of all the things we really don't need but somehow must have, and our constant need for instant gratification.



They are the simple little things. Moments, sights, small gestures of kindness, simple pleasures. Things like going for a walk in the rain and spotting a rainbow, picking flowers, watching fireworks, spending time with loved ones making dinner and just talking about whatever, or playing a game with the kids. All those things that can give you good feelings, and don't cost a thing.



My appreciation for the little things has grown as I've gotten older. I find myself enjoying simple things more, like getting my hands dirty working in the yard, planting flowers, going barefoot at the creek, taking photos, or curling up for a catnap (including cat) on a cold winter day. There are little things that I miss too, like going for long walks, something I don't do now because of the MS. I miss playing outside with my little nephew and being able to give him piggy-back or "airplane" rides.



The simple things are often so pleasantly surprising and refreshingly welcome. I find I'm more appreciative of things like politeness now. I've noticed that people aren't just holding doors for me these days - they're making sure I get in the door okay because they can see I am having trouble. It means a lot when someone goes out of their way to do something that they don't have to.


Taking time to appreciate and enjoy the little things in life renews the spirit. It is amazing how much happiness the simplest of things can give us.


No comments: