Monday, May 31, 2010

A Little List

I make lists all the time - shopping lists, to-do lists. It's a necessity for staying organized and remembering stuff. Sometimes I like to make lists just for fun though.


I've been thinking about it lately, and I decided to make a new list I shall call -

"Things I am tired of hearing about":



  • Going green. I care about the planet, and I try to do my part. I recycle, I do what I can to save energy (love those squiggly light bulbs!) But I am sorry, I will not trade my car for a bike, and I won't hang my clothes out to dry. It was fun helping Grandma do that when I was a kid, but I am just too tired these days to drag wet clothes outside.


  • Being frugal. Times may be tough, but some folks are taking the frugality thing to the extreme - planning grocery trips like they are military missions, refusing to buy even the things they need even when they have the money for them, going out of their way to save a dollar. I refuse to live on oatmeal for a month to save money. We all work too hard to drive ourselves crazy over something as simple as shopping. Make a list, cut a few coupons, use common sense, don't overbuy- no big deal. And it's okay to treat yourself once in a while, as long as you don't go crazy.


  • Social networking sites. I joined Facebook a while back, and I have to say, I am not seeing a lot of socializing going on there. Sure there are occasional comments, maybe some updates from the games my friends are playing. I do think it's nice to see old friends again and keep up with your favorite shows or bands or whatever all in one place. But the hiding behind the keyboard 'point and click' mentality of these sites makes me wonder what will happen if I run into one of my Facebook friends in public - will they actually speak to me?

  • Whatever the latest techno gadget is. Don't want it, don't need it, don't care. I am happy with my current PC, television and cell phone; they suit my needs.

  • Texting. Doesn't anybody talk anymore?

  • Video games. When will this era be over? My nephews are too into these things. Kids need to go back to reading books, playing outside, and just plain watching TV for entertainment.

I am sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. Oh, political 'hot-button' issues, but that is a whole other list!

No comments: